For the Pastry:
- Vanilla Essence
- 400g Self Raising Flour
- 200g Rico White Sugar
- 200g Margarine
- Juice and grated peel of ½ lemon
- 1-2 eggs
- Milk if needed
For the Filling:
- 200g Ground Almonds
- Almond Essence
- 100grms Rico White Sugar
- Work the margarine well into the flour.
- Beat the eggs well and mix with sugar. Add flour and margarine.
- Add rest of ingredients and work into dough.
- Mix the sugar with water and bring to the boil.
- When the mixture threads add the ground almonds
- Stir well and when done remove from fire and allow to cool.
- Heat oven
- Roll out the pastry and cut two identical shapes.
- When the almond paste cools, spread it on one the shapes.
- Place the other identical shape and press together.
- Place the figolla on a grease baking tin and bake.
- When baked leave figolla to cool.
- Decorate as desired using either icing sugar or melting chocolate.
- Place an Easter egg in the centre of figolla while icing or chocolate is still soft.